1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

What about a food ideas section?

Discussion in 'Announcements & Open Forum' started by Captain Kilowatt, Oct 7, 2014.

?

How about a foodie section where we can swap recipes, cooking or grilling ideas etc.

1. Sure. I am a foodie and am always looking to share ideas.

22 vote(s)
    73.3%
  2. No. It has no place on a radio forum.

8 vote(s)
    26.7%
  1. Shadetree Mechanic

Shadetree Mechanic 808 On The North Side of Dover

I like the Ruben sandwich.

untitled (3).png

2. Handy Andy

Handy Andy Do Your Research First, Then Decide...

Now quit taking all those Better Homes and Gardens Magazines from the Doctors Office...

I need the recipes out of those to keep up with what my wife wants to eat...

Now cut it out!
    (There's nothing wrong with the Ruben though...)
    :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Shadetree Mechanic likes this.
  3. snow bird

snow bird Well-Known Member

Dang I though we all hat to eat Me I love to eat have to >Or go hungiery .

4. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Sr. Member

Here's a San Diego delicacy.

5. 357magnum

357magnum Sr. Member

I'm not a big fan of chili made with hamburger , this is a recipe sent to me from my Aunt Helen ( Rip ) in Tx it was on a pot holder not hers I use it all the time & replace Beef w/ Deer meat .. 2 tbls Veg oil ,2 lbs cubed beef ,1 cup chopped onions , 1 green bell pepper ( seeded&chopped ), 1 clove garlic minced ,1 12 oz can tomato paste , 2 1/2 cups of water , 2 pickled Jalapeno peppers rinsed seeded & chopped ,1 1/2 tbls of chili powder ,1/2 tsp crushed red pepper , 1/2 tsp salt , 1/2 tsp dried oregano , 1/2 tsp cumin , 1 , 15 1/2 oz can of Pinto beans ( drained ) . I love this recipe , try & enjoy ! 73 , God Bless , Leo .

6. Tallman

Tallman W9WDX Amateur Radio Member, KW4YJ EXTRA class

We call that Fajitas! When the meat is finished cooking we take onion and bell peppers along with a jalapeno or two and give the a quick toss with the left over marinade in a cast iron skillet. Put the veggies over the top of the thinly sliced Skirt Steak. Serve with Spanish rice and refried bean. Plan on four small flour tortillas for each person.
    Warm the tortillas in a cast iron skillet not the microwave. Microwaves turn gluten into rubber and don't develop the taste the skillet does.

357magnum likes this.
  7. Tallman

Here is a good bean dip for a TV night or use as a filling for tortillas.
    Get 12 to 16 ounces of Chorizio. It is Mexican style pan sausage that is red in color.
    One can of refried beans 14 to 16 ounces.
    Cook the Chorizio down to render out as much fat as you can. You can dip it off if you wish. I just leave it in.

Heat the refried beans in a skillet and stir them to keep it from burning. Add the cooked Chorizio when the beans are thinning out and getting hot. Stir until you don't see any of the sausage and it is uniform in color.

You can keep it hot in a chaffing dish for dipping with corn chips for a party setting or just put it in to a bowl for TV snacks.

You can also serve this spread on flour tortillas and fold taco style.

357magnum and Shadetree Mechanic like this.
  8. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Sr. Member

Are you from Texas?
    In Arizona and southern California they call it Carne Asada and pile it on a plate of fried potatoes with guacamole, sour cream, cheese, and salsa.

9. Tallman

You know that's right. Born and raised Texan and fed real Mexican food.
    Fajitas is a cooking style and you are correct about Carne Asada. What you have showing in the Video cover is not Mexican food by Texas standards.
    The only way friends in Texas would eat that is because they only have one plate and that was the one and only chance to eat.
    If I was sitting in a Mexican restaurant and they brought that to me I would be offended.
    I would think that they dug through the trash can and put it on a plate. I was in Arizona back around 1990 and the Mexican food they served looked like what I am used to.
    KFC for a while was serving dishes in a bowl and it look like a pre-trash dump from table scraps. While I do have OCD I don't worry about food touching, as long as it does not look like it was scraped out of the trash can.
    When it come to cooking "Presentation" is what sets your frame of mind for the dish, Beef wellington pastry should be crispy not soggy. If soggy won't taste as good.
    We eat TexMex in Texas and here in Kentucky. I don't know what that is, CalMex maybe?

#54 Tallman, Dec 14, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
    357magnum likes this.
  10. Handy Andy

Don't mince words Mr. Tallman...

The pic he sent you was a piece of Baby "food" (strained peas or worse) that imitates Guac - and what looks like shredded cheese on a pile of old wood dowels...

357magnum and Tallman like this.
  11. Tallman

I mince onions not words.
    I watched the video just to see what it was all about. I wish I hadn't done that.
    I think I'm going to hurl.

#56 Tallman, Dec 14, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
    357magnum likes this.
  12. Handy Andy

Never questioned that...

The vids presentation "snapshot" could have been <*ahemn*> better...

357magnum likes this.
  13. TM86

TM86 Sr. Member

I've eaten at Filiberto's (the place in the RPC's video) twice. Got violently ill within hours both times. That was in 1999.

Now, they've supposedly cleaned up their act since then, and they have expanded (it's a local chain). Doesn't matter, I won't be back.

Tallman and 357magnum like this.
  14. autotuner

autotuner Supporting Member

Had some nice bush oysters last week . Roo shooter friend crumbs them in crushed potato crisps and fries em up...yummo.

15. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Sr. Member

It's a San Luis Potosi thing. Different regions of Mexico have different styles of cooking.