• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yeticom Optima MK3 Mobile

At about 12-15 watts on SSB. JMHO. You might could push it a bit more, but all you are doing is making the meter dance. AM keep DK at around 2 watts or less. It all depends on how much pep power the radio puts out on AM more so than on SSB. I can't remeber if the optima swings to 40-50 watts off a low DK. But on SSB you can turn it down I do know for sure.

At about 12-15 watts on SSB. JMHO. You might could push it a bit more, but all you are doing is making the meter dance. AM keep DK at around 2 watts or less. It all depends on how much pep power the radio puts out on AM more so than on SSB. I can't remeber if the optima swings to 40-50 watts off a low DK. But on SSB you can turn it down I do know for sure.
I DK, AM 4w. s.s.b. all the way up (50w) I can talk all day long, (T.S. DX-500.).I have 120mm fan kit on heat sink, it's on when the DX-500 is on, I have 10, 1/8 in. holes each side of case at board level, and 120mm fan top of case that comes on when i key mic.and runs for 30sec. after mic. key is released.

I know I may take some slack, but how difficult is it to add talk back to the Optima? I just like to know when I have a microphone problem. Just about ready to buy the Optima, but money is tight now. Is there anything to hear on 12m?
Just wondering Undertaker did you get your radio and how are you liking it?

Last edited:
Got quite a few!!!!
you are going to love you optima....turned one the little dx500 today in my pick uphere in Oregon and spoke to Bermuda then spun around in the wal mart parking lot and got out to New Zealand, what more can you ask for Bermuda on ch.20 AM side, and then on USB 27.505 N.Z. all about 2:35pm pt.

turned one the little dx500 today in my pick uphere in Oregon and spoke to Bermuda then spun around in the wal mart parking lot and got out to New Zealand, what more can you ask for Bermuda on ch.20 AM side, and then on USB 27.505 N.Z. all about 2:35pm pt.
Just keep in mind that had very little to do with the radio setup and more to do with band conditions. A good setup helps certainly but conditions are everything.

I know I may take some slack, but how difficult is it to add talk back to the Optima? I just like to know when I have a microphone problem. Just about ready to buy the Optima, but money is tight now. Is there anything to hear on 12m?
Just wondering Undertaker did you get your radio and how are you liking it?
If you really want to "hear" yourself what I have found to do , and do myself is have a cheep radio just for receive, to just hear your self when needed. I also have friends I talk to around the USA, and Canada, and in N.Z. that will record me, and e mail it to me , and or play it back over the radio to me.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.