• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CRT SS 7900V Turbo (latest version) Service Mode? (And more tricks)...

Hi Jamsabond,
please find my updated Excelsheet attached. It also includes some stock servicemenu settings of an AT-5555N2. You can see, that these are often similar (regardless of an individual and accurate alignment, which of course should be preferred).

vy 73 + good luck on your re-alignment
Jochen, 13OP25

Attachments

• CRT SS 7900V TURBO (user menu + service menu settings).xlsx
    48.8 KB · Views: 113
Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Hi all, after lots of detective work and button combinations I have found out how to access the Service Mode menu!

CRT SS 7900V TURBO - SERVICE MODE:

Step 1:
Press and hold MENU and MODE while you turn the radio ON. All LCD segments will show for around 2 seconds.

Step 2: Within this 2 second window, release the MENU and MODE buttons, and quickly press these keys, one after another (within the 2 second window): RB, NB, SCAN, MEM, EMG.

The radio will enter Service Mode.

Hey Pez -

GREAT DETECTIVE WORK !! How in hell did you figure out which keys to push, and in what order, during that 2 sec window. Remarkable !!

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Hi Jamsabond,
please find my updated Excelsheet attached. It also includes some stock servicemenu settings of an AT-5555N2. You can see, that these are often similar (regardless of an individual and accurate alignment, which of course should be preferred).

vy 73 + good luck on your re-alignment
Jochen, 13OP25
GRAZIE.GRAZIE.GRAZIE!!!!!!!GRANDE.........GRAZIE

Hey Pez -

GREAT DETECTIVE WORK !! How in hell did you figure out which keys to push, and in what order, during that 2 sec window. Remarkable !!

There are a few different methods similar to this, for a few different radios on the market already, so it was just a case of trial and error.

Reactions: 16DCG880
Hi Jamsabond, in the attached File I added the alignment values of my SS 7900V and my optimized values for received signal strength indicator RSSI.
vy 73
Frank

Attachments

• CRT SS 7900V TURBO (user menu + service menu settings + Frank RSSI).xlsx
    49 KB · Views: 109
Hi,

here in attached file, the updated excel with my (factory default) settings found on my brand new AT5555N2 transceiver (same of CRT 7900V Turbo) .

I hope could be helpfull.

'73!

Attachments

• CRT SS 7900V TURBO (user menu + service menu settings Simone_RM).xlsx
    50.3 KB · Views: 69
What were your RSSI modified settings 40 thru 45 for the receive meter for AM and FM?? I just got my CRT SS 7900v turbo in couple days ago and the receive meter is very tight. My friend that only lives a few miles from me always pegs my meter out on other radios. But on the 7900v turbo it is all he can do to bump the s9. This is my only complaint on this radio. Other than this I love it. Performs great.

Reactions: Eldorado828
What were your RSSI modified settings 40 thru 45 for the receive meter for AM and FM?? I just got my CRT SS 7900v turbo in couple days ago and the receive meter is very tight. My friend that only lives a few miles from me always pegs my meter out on other radios. But on the 7900v turbo it is all he can do to bump the s9. This is my only complaint on this radio. Other than this I love it. Performs great.
Hi Columbas,

unfortunately it is not that easy. To align the S-Meter (separated for AM/FM and SSB) you need a RF signal-generator to feed in the proper RF signal levels according to the decibel stages you'll find here for example:

By rotating the channel knob the CRT SS 7900V Turbo reads out the RF input level and SETS THE responding DIGIT VALUES AUTOMATICALLY!!!

So you cannot change these settings manually like expected.

In the case you might rotate the channel knob by mistake without feeding in the proper dBm signal level, the related S-Meter setting has gone immediately. You will not get it set back to the prior digit value. You NEED to feed in the related dBm RF signal and let it detect and set automatically.

vy 73,
Jochen, DG2IAQ, 13OP25

Reactions: Pez
Thanks for the good advice and information. I wonder why they have the meter set so low? Well. Just something I can live with. No big deal. My friends just think my radio is broke down on receive. I told them it’s just a tight meter. I hear them fine. You know how people are when they are use to getting bigger numbers. They even thought for a little while they were broke down. Thanks again. Great information and good to know. Have a blessed day to you and all on this forum. Looking forward to learning more.

Reactions: Pez
Thanks for the good advice and information. I wonder why they have the meter set so low? Well. Just something I can live with. No big deal. My friends just think my radio is broke down on receive. I told them it’s just a tight meter. I hear them fine. You know how people are when they are use to getting bigger numbers. They even thought for a little while they were broke down. Thanks again. Great information and good to know. Have a blessed day to you and all on this forum. Looking forward to learning more.
It is not very common to see the upper S meter levels being very far out of alignment on these radios, however it's good news that the radio is working well for you otherwise.

If you are feeling brave you could get a TinySA (a relatively cheap device that includes a signal generator) to firstly check what signals levels are needed by the S meter currently (to make sure it is actually your radio with the issue, and not your friends radios with overly happy meters!). And then you can use it for aligning the S meter, if needed.

The process isn't hard but it needs caution, as getting it wrong can result in bad results, and even a smoked Tiny SA. (i.e, TXing into the SA by accident - which is easy to do in the alignment settings). Good luck.

While I have found little information on this radio since it is newly developed you all on this forum has come through kindly with a very informative information that I and others so desperately need to further help in enjoying this radio. On the device you had mentioned who sells it ? You said it was cheap and that sounds like it fits my budget. lol. Thank you so much for this information. I can only express my gratitude to each and everyone for helping this old radio operator other than saying Thank you and God bless you all and if you have any more information I look forward to more contacts on this wonderful forum.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.