• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New SSB export radio coming soon - RCI X9

The price of the radios are outrageous. Still till this day my ole trusty 29 comp and external amp out talks the competition. Proven time and time again

With all the room inside these big chassis radios,now that everything is SMT, I wish they'd start adding some low pass filters to stop the splattering!

Reactions: DJboutit
With all the room inside these big chassis radios,now that everything is SMT, I wish they'd start adding some low pass filters to stop the splattering!
They can't even stop using power supply transistors as linear RF output devices. This market has been flooded with different flavors of junk for well over a decade.

It would be nice if someone made something smaller, that covered all of HF on all modes with good sounding AM, a built in bandscope, antenna analyzer, DSP filtering, dual VFO's, digital volt meter, great automatic antenna tuner, detachable faceplate (cable included), easily modified for MARS and CAP, had real RF finals AND COST LESS. But, that would be a pipe dream right?

Not so! Check out your other options (link below) with newer, inexpensive ham rigs because, it beats EVERYTHING you can buy for 10 / 11 meters.

Xiegu G90 QRP HF Amateur Radio 20W SSB/CW/AM/FM 0.5-30MHz SDR Transceiver US | eBay

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
$425 for 20 watts? Then you have to spring for an amp yet. Still dreaming down that pipe. I really like my Stryker and RCI's. Just wish I could run them without bleeding all the other electronics in the house! Looking in to a low pass.

$425 for 20 watts? Then you have to spring for an amp yet. Still dreaming down that pipe. I really like my Stryker and RCI's. Just wish I could run them without bleeding all the other electronics in the house! Looking in to a low pass.
The better question is $499 for 120 watts, from a handful of 25 cent power supply transistors? Then, ask yourself where you see any heatsink on that hand grenade, that could ever dissipate 120 watts worth of heat? You'd be better off paying your tech $50, to hack that junk off the radio and use an external amp with real RF transistors.

The features on the HF rig for that money, are mind blowing. The glorified CB will provide you with one S-Unit more signal, for as long as the misused finals that were designed for an entirely different application, survive with little to no heatsink and biased into the linear region, in spite of what their datasheet says.

Looking in to a low pass.

Unless your only interference problem is on TV channel 2 or 5, don't waste your time adding a harmonic filter which only has the ability to address that specific issue. Most of the interference problems seen today are related to direct RFI pickup and have no relation to any harmonic. Properly placed ferrite beads are the best solution for those RFI issues.

Last edited:
They can't even stop using power supply transistors as linear RF output devices. This market has been flooded with different flavors of junk for well over a decade.

It would be nice if someone made something smaller, that covered all of HF on all modes with good sounding AM, a built in bandscope, antenna analyzer, DSP filtering, dual VFO's, digital volt meter, great automatic antenna tuner, detachable faceplate (cable included), easily modified for MARS and CAP, had real RF finals AND COST LESS. But, that would be a pipe dream right?

Not so! Check out your other options (link below) with newer, inexpensive ham rigs because, it beats EVERYTHING you can buy for 10 / 11 meters.

Xiegu G90 QRP HF Amateur Radio 20W SSB/CW/AM/FM 0.5-30MHz SDR Transceiver US | eBay

s-l1600.jpg

That's my next radio - can't wait to try out the G90. Is the front panel user friendly enough to use without the stock microphone? I'd love to be able to use my studio microphone setup into it.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
That's my next radio - can't wait to try out the G90. Is the front panel user friendly enough to use without the stock microphone? I'd love to be able to use my studio microphone setup into it.
I don't own this radio so I am just going by what I've read from many reviews today, while looking for other alternatives to these "10 meter rigs". Key points that stood out were features, price, size, good AM performance on AM receive and transmit. Good SSB performance is a given on HF rigs but they often "skimp" on the AM transmit.

While the display is small and the bandwidth limited, I'll trade echo and talkback for bandscope and waterfall any day. Give me a clean 20 watts from real linear RF MOSFET's, worthy of amplifying up to whatever needed, over 100 watts from transistors so cheap, it's the only part most manufacturers know they can't even warranty for 90 days on their "high power" radios. These parts have such poor IMD specs, they won't even mention it anywhere.

To answer your question, the radio uses the new style 8 wire RJ-45 type microphone connector. If you're willing to give up the mic keypad, you could just feed audio and the TX key line into the RJ-45. It's probably putting out DC bias voltage on the audio line for the electret condenser mic. If so just block the DC from getting into your outboard audio equipment with an electrolytic cap.

Other possibilities may be injecting audio into the digital input. I read it had one even though it doesn't advertise this mode (yet). You could also feed audio into the stock mic or plug from outside (in place of its element) in order to retain the keypad if needed. Just don't go putting line level into a mic input without the appropriate resistor divider acting as an attenuator.

Another alternative is to make a small "microphone junction box" to plug both mic inputs into. With a switch on it you could go from the stock mics audio input, to your outboard mic gear at the flip of that switch. Could still use the stock mic to key the radio too.

The radio is software defined and there have been several updates. Make sure you are using the latest version with the most features and patches. Updates are said to be easy, but without those updates, not all features may be "plug and play" or work to their best abilities, right out of the box.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.