• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Rocket Box 1000XL

I am waiting for the 1000XL to come as a kit and I will snatch one up. I wonder how much drive it can take? Would my Stryker 955 be too much?

Hey Shadetree I was thinking the same thing and Rocket said he would put a kit together for me , Im sure he would do the same for you ! Just leave him a message here or FB.

I'm going to buy a 250 kit and build the 2x4 . (That's the plan I have a ton of stuff going on right now , perhaps a bit too much ) But that's kinda how I roll lol

I ordered the LDMOS board and 50v power supply,doing the Heathkit conversion , building a 5 element beam , picking up a 20+radio CB-Mics-Meters-Antennas lot (tomorrow I hope), putting a new rig in the work truck , new subs [JL Audio only] amps and speakers in personal truck , oh yeah and work , family , friends , and other assorted distractions ;) I like chaos in my life it keeps the blood pumping !

73's buddy ! Brian

Lol, I love it, this never chanages hahaha!
The reality is the only way to know what these units do/dont do is to test them with reliable equipment. Whether they operate properly, well or poorly can only be proven thru testing. Id love to see some vids of testing these units. Honestly all else is wasteful arguments imo.
Cant we all just get a bong? (Intentional type o...)

He is currently cleaning up the audio on the first complete XL1000 and should have them ready soon for under $899.00 USD !!

If the problem were truly just cleaning up the audio, this would be a simple matter of correcting the bias or drive level in one of the stages. It is far more likely he is working on clearing up oscillation issues due to the close proximity of the driver stage being spaced as though it were part of the final stage. This is why every 10 pill you've seen before this, placed the two driver transistors off to one side of the board. This board was designed by someone who placed too much emphasis on making it small and not enough on making it stable.

Dump the amplifier into a narrow band antenna and reduce the drive from full power down to zero and watch the power spike up as it breaks into oscillation. All you really need to spot this, is a watt meter. Just by looking at the board layout, it is not hard to tell this would be a very difficult test for the XL1000 to pass.

Here is a question for Rocket box.
Do you have control over the PC board design?
Actually if you don't mind, can you give us some history behind the development of this amp?
Thanks.
Jeff

Great question ! Hey Rocket I think that's a great way to introduce yourself , a little history of your design and or build process . While your at it tell everyone a little about yourself so everybody knows the I AN IN FACT NOT THE MAN BEHIND THE MASK LOL

73'S To all and to all a goodnight , Winkdogg
4-2-Zero in NJ (Not las Vegas) and Im 10-10

Reactions: Rocketbox
Most builders stay behind the scene but yes we are in Vegas and most of you may have seen my 250HD boards before they have been out for over 25 years and made great progress for a cheep unit that most can afford and last years if ran right, My heat sink should open your eyes to what the unit was before it was rocket box. If your looking for a comp box Rocket box is not for you. I build a clean unit just for rag chewing and your everyday trucker . The reason my units are cheep is a buy mass quantities of parts into the 1000s so they can be cheep for you and myself I do this as a hobby only I'm not building to get my ass kicked by people I have 100% feed back , All 500s and 1000s will be built with surface mount components so there or no mistake with the boards I hope I have answered all your questions

Welcome to the forum Rocketbox. I do apologize if we have been a bit critical of the 1000XL but, we would like to be able to remove that skepticism too. When you're ready, a simple demonstration of this amplifier going into an antenna tuner (to restrict bandwidth) while a full power carrier is reduced down to the point the keying relay drops out, could effectively change these opinions.

If a scope shows a clean sinewave as the power is reduced, this would go a long way at proving amplifier stability.

In the event the 1000XL is oscillating from the final stage, coupling back to the driver, a simple piece of copper flashing soldered to the PC board ground, standing upright between the driver and final stage, may provide enough shieding to stop this.
This is a excellent suggestion.
I have seen one CB amp builder that actually shrouded the driver stage in copper to prevent interaction from that stage to the final sections of the amp.
Jeff

This is a excellent suggestion.
I have seen one CB amp builder that actually shrouded the driver stage in copper to prevent interaction from that stage to the final sections of the amp.
Jeff
This fix has served me well whenever I had to stuff a driver too close to a final stage. As long as the DC feed is properly RF bypassed to both stages, there should be little coupling between them with this shield.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated