• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Scary Snake Radio "Setting Up" President Lincoln II V3

well i sent tim the radio to fix a broken mic gain control.
then he started his usual speel it need to be recapped. needs new meter he when threw the 400 checklist.while he was working on it. he dropped a metal screwdriver in the radio. as you can imaging fireworks and smokeand no he did not offer to compensate me for the radio. he lied his way out. if i lived closer i could have taken him out. broken jaw. no this was 15 years ago.i could have sued him for damages. wish i could find another one

I have worked on many of these including some that had half the front panel tactile switches bad I replaced them all when this happens because Well, it's no fun having to go back in for the one you didn't replace. these are not radios for the weak of heart to work on when it comes to issues with the front panel much patience and a steady hand and they will test you. So kudos to any of you that have done that kind of work on these. Other than that one of these working the way it was meant to work are nice rigs.

Oldtech03

These are not radios for the weak of heart to work on when it comes to issues with the front panel, much patience and a steady hand and they will test you. So kudos to any of you that have done that kind of work on these.
That's right, they're undoubtedly very sophisticated devices and whoever opens them should know what he's doing. I also think it's an unfortunate fact that no one has succeeded in recreating and developing this great radio until today. With a Japanese producer, a US company could re-launch a truly great device. Such a project would be a welcome push into a well-known quality class! (y)

You wanna show Him how to troubleshoot at the component level instead of part swapping? Buy this radio, fix it, Then you can resell it on eBay and advertise it as "We fix Snake Radio repairs" Just saying I'm not in the camp of trashing him but this video speaks volumes to his lack of understanding and his component level trouble-shooting skills. I would do it but I don't have $100 bucks laying around. It's kinda funny if you think about it. It reminds me of that AD on tv that used to say "We fix $6.95 haircuts" that was put up by the barber across the street. LOL

Last edited:
Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Not a welder by union description but a talented welder in any case. I had the repeated opportunity to follow an ironworker known to me only as "C" . I formed an initial opinion of this person's welding skills being akin to "a blind epileptic monkey could do better."

After some years of fixing "C's" work I realized this person was near singlehandedly keeping me in work and although my opinion had not changed my attitude had. I was happy for the work.

One day on a mixed trades job we were introduced to several new hires. The general foreman left the best for last.

"... Cee, you've already burned far to many bridges here. You're welcome to leave now and paid for four or stay four and play with a broom and get eight hours, up to you. Besides you've already provided a full time job for a real welder fixing your mistakes."

She had painted fingernails, worn , though immaculately clean Carhartt, "fashion boots" (doubt they were steel/safety) and the only tools she arrived with were a welding helmet and a pair of gloves.

Folks it happens everywhere. I got paid to fix a litany of no penetration, wrong process, wrong material, embrittlement, contaminated, and just plain ugly if not dangerous welding for nearly two years. After a time , even moving job to job I saw the type and quality of work and knew who had done it.
Eventually several of us got together and sent un-sat, retest requests to our state level certification . The re-tests were performed , by us. It seems this individual was protected by gender and race. We were identified as harassment if not embarrassment and forced to re-test as a penance. It nearly cost me weld inspector certification.

Several years on I arrived on the job and I saw Cee sitting at the break table.
"Sign me out . I'm done here. It won't even cost you four"
I called the hall and explained. No problem and back on the book.
I got a call several weeks from the contractor asking what my major malfunction was. I couldn't even mention Cee by name as part of a previous agreement. All I could say was that I couldn't say anything. He just asked if my reputation for re-work of structural welding was earned. I agreed to meet him off site and struck a deal that he and my union could live with. Take a guess... :)

I've tried to offer the benefit of knowing just how useless these discussions are. I offer another example from my trade, to focus on not the person but the job. I will only sign off on my own work or work I am intimately aware of that took place in my presence. I won't discuss other's work because , well it isn't mine. I won't run another's work down for any reason other than to say "that's gotta be fixed". because , well, the specifications (and laws in some cases) say it has to be fixed.

This is why I have over the years subscribed to mailing lists, joined forums, copied reference material from libraries, purchased manuals, acquired test equipment and learned how to use it. In the end the only "tech" you'll hear me complain about is me. The only work you'll hear me disparage is my own. The only person I have to blame is me.
In the beginning I couldn't afford a tech so if I wanted to own and operate I had to become one. This applies to radio as well...

...you thought I was talking about radio ? I was talking about motorcycles. There isn't much I don't know about or can't fix on a motorcycle made between 1960 and 2000. The rest I can puzzle out. This is because I was there. lived it, breathed it , dreamed it. Radio on the other hand , not so much. It has been far more a hobby than a passion but all the same getting it right became the reason and not the result.

What some bright youngster can today pickup in a two year course it took mt 40 years to acquire. Ohms law for AC/DC has not and will not change in the foreseeable future. So my understanding will not be outdated for some time to come. For me it didn't come easily or all at once but I will never have to rely on someone else to fix my radio.

For all the time and energy spent on he said , she said bullshit at least some headway could have been made in the areas of personal education and self reliance. In other words , if you placed as much time and energy into learning something as you spend exposing painfully obvious ignorance you wouldn't have time for this petty waste of time.

See? It happened to me too. I wasted the time calling out all that care to read this beginning to end for their shortsighted ignorance. If the shoe fits you're already wearing it . Before you toss a meaningless insult at me remember I've been there and done that . How else would I know ? Takes one to know one ...

Now go play with something more important , like the wife , girlfriend, kids or pets . You've suffered enough mental masturbation for one day.

...you thought I was talking about radio ? I was talking about motorcycles. There isn't much I don't know about or can't fix on a motorcycle made between 1960 and 2000. The rest I can puzzle out.

The study of the art of motorcycle maintenance is really a miniature study of the art of rationality itself. Working on a motorcycle, working well, caring, is to become part of a process, to achieve an inner peace of mind. The motorcycle is primarily a mental phenomenon. The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself.

That about sum it up? ;)

As much as I'd like to lay claim to those words, I can't. They, of course, were penned by Robert Pirsig.

Reactions: Dmans
Robert Pirsig's "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Mechanics" Had little to do with Zen as culture or theology and even less to do with motorcycles.

It should in no way be associated with that great body of factual information relating to orthodox Zen Buddhist practice. It's not very factual on motorcycles, either.
~Robert Maynard Pirsig

It was and is a tale of self exploration. To anyone that cares I recommend "Lila: An Inquiry Into Morals" , his only other novel.

The tragedy and complexity of Pirsig's life is contained in any remotely accurate biography.

If you are looking for something even a bit less Zen and more motorcycle I recommend
"Shop Class as Soulcraft" By Michael B Crawford.
https://www.thenewatlantis.com/publications/shop-class-as-soulcraft
You will get an overview of industrialized society as well.

Robert Pirsig's "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Mechanics" Had little to do with Zen as culture or theology and even less to do with motorcycles.

~Robert Maynard Pirsig

It was and is a tale of self exploration. To anyone that cares I recommend "Lila: An Inquiry Into Morals" , his only other novel.

The tragedy and complexity of Pirsig's life is contained in any remotely accurate biography.

If you are looking for something even a bit less Zen and more motorcycle I recommend
"Shop Class as Soulcraft" By Michael B Crawford.
https://www.thenewatlantis.com/publications/shop-class-as-soulcraft
You will get an overview of industrialized society as well.

I LOVE Lila. Great book.

One of my most cherished possessions is a postcard I received from Mr. Pirsig.

Will check out Shop Class. (y)

Interesting view Kopcicle, because having some experience in the financial sector - I've often had to put out fires caused by poor handling of other peoples money. It's not pretty and threats get made, but the institution is not always correct - it is sometimes the corrected - one.

Quite a while ago, someone complained about mods that even I had offered up on the internet - and sooner or later photos of "YOU DID THIS" showed up - and I had to demonstrate - more than once - that if my instructions were followed - you would not be taking this picture and posting stuff like this.

I know a place right outside - on I-40 - just west of where Memphis meets the Mississippi river, in Arkansas - there's a little 5+ acre plot of land - a perditions paradise (worse than Disney) between the medians and frontage roads that has a truckstop and several littler shops including a CB shop that used to be run by a guy called Cueball - or Eightball - not a month went by where the local news was "undercover" watching all the carp feeding off the - er, bottom feeders - a lot like the food chain...

How would you feel (referring to another recent episode of "Snakes Week") if you were "broadcasted" out on Youtube or CBS news - using your customers stuff - to show how radios can be damaged, altered or destroyed

You'd be judged faster than they could explain that it was you that fixed and repaired the problem. You are not always the hero in these scenarios - simple guilty by association because you spilled the beans (Narc'd) on someone or some other shop. The grey market is grey for a reason...and not too many people like to share the limelight caused by someone's sleuthing that got on the evening news - they make money the easy way by preying on insecurities others have and in their need to fill that gap.

Not here to open old wounds - just a reminder on why I feel the way I do (in my own shoes - not anyone else's) when it comes to showing off works that pretty much destroys any hope of warranty work done by the factory and now the customer has no choice but to become part of that food chain and learns to give $$$ to receive back what they thought they would keep and never had to share in the first place.

Buy from there? The whole world knows it...

@Handy Andy

The good guys are smothered by the bad!
You have to look especially hard for a decent guy because the noise is simply overwhelming.

They all have their marketing gimmicks designed to drown out the honest techs.
Another thing of note is that the honest techs all tend to charge LESS for their services as well. It's probably because a lot of them have industry ties, or at least ethics.

Snake Radios....
His game is simple. You "pick" what you want done from his sheet.
Then he tells you what you "need" and if you do not do what he says you "need" then he offers you no warranties, and often outright refuses to do it unless you do his "suggested" items.
It's coercion. He has your radio. You just paid to ship it to him. You now have to pay to get it back with no work or do you cave and get his "suggested" items done?
Mind you, it's just a "suggestion" while he holds your equipment hostage.
His argument - which is VALID I have to add - is that you have "a choice"
And you do. Pay to get it sent back with nothing, or do what he says which in most cases is a lot of unnecessary work.
Ignorance on fire.

Then you have the Fine Tune CBs of the world.
These guys are more common.
That game is to not show you everything but say your showing everything.
It's all misdirection.
Black bars on the videos to make it look like it's recorded by a cellphone but it's a camera. Sides edited out. The choice of older equipment that does not have as much information on the screen as newer DSOs and spectrum analysers. That information can't be there because it's part of the smoke and mirrors. If you listen and watch carefully you can see and hear things changing in the background. You can't see the control panels of these instruments let alone the other two instruments he uses off to each side that he can manipulate.
But, you have to "pay attention" because he is showing you what others are not showing you when he is, in fact, showing you LESS than say a Snake Radios is.
And part of the deflection is to bash and berate anyone that is a threat.

All they do is trample over each other for the few customers that are out there.
And that is why some of these guys are as vicious as they are.
Harassment, death threats, intimidation... you name it have come from the likes of Snake Radios, Fine Tune CBs, Trucks CBs, Joker Man, and so on.

The good guys are the ones not responding to this crowd.
I am embarrassed by some of the videos I have seen by this crowd.
Being immoral and unethical is their trademark.

My father once said this. If you want the whole world to know how dumb you then keep on acting stupid. If you don't want to be critiqued then stop making videos and posting them where the whole world can see them. Now I don't know if Kopcicle was responding to my post or if his response was directed at me but I can assure you my only reason for posting it was as I said this man makes videos constantly and brags about how great he is and how out of 400 radios he worked on not (1) was ever returned with issues and then posts another video of how he can't repair a radio and even goes on to say well I replaced 30 or 40 parts and that didn't fix it? So it speaks volumes to the idea that "PARTS SWAPPING" Is alive and well in snake land and if that doesn't fix it he is done. And everyone seems to be fine with it which is fine with me too. But he did post the video I merely helped him get the word out.

@OldTech03

Parts swapping does appear to be alive and well.
In his defence, if you work on a particular device every day you will come to know the symptoms and the resolutions.

In these videos he has two 858 radios.
It's obvious that all he knows is the Bearcat 980 - which is far too new for him to even think about troubleshooting and there is no diagram for the radio on top if that.
And it's a < $100 radio on ebay. It breaks, just grab another one.

But these 858 radios are a somewhat more complicated beast to the 8719 and the like radios he works with.

My speculation: He is trying to broaden his horizons.
The 8719 chassis work is drying up and he is trying to stay with thruhole radios that he can get diagrams for.
SMT is here to stay, and only get smaller.

Either he is going to die off, or finally learn electronics.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.