• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CB Tricks site UPDATES/THREAD MERGERS

Around 10 years ago, you donate to cbtricks and they send 4 DVDs worth of info, practically an entire copy of whatever they had available on their server. I still have the DVDs if anyone wants a copy, but it is large, almost 15GB of files. Just have to figure out how to upload it. Not sure if that's allowed or not. Does anyone else remember these discs?
do they contain the forum content???

Reactions: midnight special
Yes, many of the guys that used to be on the cbtricks forum were also supporting the site.

Some of the information is uploaded here:

Jeff

No.
Unfortunately that is gone, it was just as much a resource as the site itself.
Many good people were members there, and had posted a tremendous amount of knowledge,it was a huge loss.

Jeff
I can only hope that, eventually, someone will come along that was smart enough to exclude login and logout links, edit and delete links, and other unncessessary or problematic links in their WinHTTrack mirror settings and knew how to configure it to start with logging in by giving it the appropriate credentials and browser/host etc info.. It would have been possible, but only the finest of computer ninja could have done it. Just gotta have a little faith, its out there still! One of these days, some computer nerd that also happened to be a CB'er that got out of CB is going to show up and say "check this out!"

I say that because I looked up how to do it. A week (or so) too late.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
What Bennie told me at the time was that the raw database had survived, but the indexing data file was lost. This is what takes an enormous random pile of stored text data and organizes it into subforums, threads, user and date.

Without that, it's a deck of cards tossed into the air.

His lament was that he had experience with CGI on the server side, but the forum was PHP or something like that. Said he had sweet talked a PHP expert into trying to reconstruct.

But I never heard from him again.

I just fell into this whole cbtricks situation, discovering that it was down a few days ago looking for some Dak Mark X stuff and that apparently this is an ongoing thing. I can host/mirror if need be; in fact I was going to just try mirroring cbtricks.org but there doesn't seem to be a way to get hold of anyone there. I have a business account with my ISP that I pay way too much for, and this will further justify my love-hate relationship with the power company (a rack full of server gear will do that). I'm currently only hosting really small stuff for people who have limited resources because honestly, there's no money in hosting unless you have a big capital investment and you're prepared to lose money for a year or more. I won't charge anything but the occasional donation would be nice, Premium Membership blahblah. I can't bring back the dead but if there's need/motivation for a forum, that's possible too. I maintain my own ZFS storage and do tape backups. If the demand requires it, I'll back up to colo for 24/7 availability (I'm an IT guy by trade so I know all about worst-case scenarios).

I saw somewhere else in this thread that the site is something like 15GB content; I can do that standing on my head. I'm curious as to why this has been a problem in the past though? When you can get the Anarchist's Cookbook with a casual Google search, I doubt anyone is worried about legal bullshit from hosting schematics for a kicker or DIY stinger board. For the record, I don't have any alimony/child support/crack habits to risk bankrupting me. Let me know if this is worth a damn and if there's anyone I can talk to if so. CBTricks is like a 12,000 lb winch to me: I don't often need it, but when I do, nothing else will do the job.

I just fell into this whole cbtricks situation, discovering that it was down a few days ago looking for some Dak Mark X stuff and that apparently this is an ongoing thing. I can host/mirror if need be; in fact I was going to just try mirroring cbtricks.org but there doesn't seem to be a way to get hold of anyone there. I have a business account with my ISP that I pay way too much for, and this will further justify my love-hate relationship with the power company (a rack full of server gear will do that). I'm currently only hosting really small stuff for people who have limited resources because honestly, there's no money in hosting unless you have a big capital investment and you're prepared to lose money for a year or more. I won't charge anything but the occasional donation would be nice, Premium Membership blahblah. I can't bring back the dead but if there's need/motivation for a forum, that's possible too. I maintain my own ZFS storage and do tape backups. If the demand requires it, I'll back up to colo for 24/7 availability (I'm an IT guy by trade so I know all about worst-case scenarios).

I saw somewhere else in this thread that the site is something like 15GB content; I can do that standing on my head. I'm curious as to why this has been a problem in the past though? When you can get the Anarchist's Cookbook with a casual Google search, I doubt anyone is worried about legal bullshit from hosting schematics for a kicker or DIY stinger board. For the record, I don't have any alimony/child support/crack habits to risk bankrupting me. Let me know if this is worth a damn and if there's anyone I can talk to if so. CBTricks is like a 12,000 lb winch to me: I don't often need it, but when I do, nothing else will do the job.
Hey Mt IT guy..... I just rcvd an email of your post and lemme just say that over the years the site has been up and down many times. It always seems to survive somehow. Anyway, I wasn't aware if it's down again...pretty sure I was able to access it not long ago, but in any event, I dont see the regular url working at the moment but I did see 2 other urls that seem to work fine. So aside from whatever may or may not currently be going on, here's those urls that appear to be working fine. I didn't dive too deep but the radio's section came right up when I clicked on it.

Having trouble replying. Everything keeps disappearing from my phone. Try these

All the mirror sites are missing content, cbtricks.org seems to have the most of the original content but still has gaps.
Some of it is here
The forum and all of its treasures is lost forever I am afraid.

Jeff

Reactions: midnight special
Yes, the cbtricks.org seems to be the mirror with the most recovered content, but there are things missing.
Not all of the links go to the original content.
And the other ones that try to charge $39 bucks for content are simply a rip off.

Jeff

Reactions: NZ8N and Marconi
Agreed on missing content. Front page looks good but I didn't have much trouble finding links that don't get there. It looked like dot org works better than dot co.

Yes, the cbtricks.org seems to be the mirror with the most recovered content, but there are things missing.
Not all of the links go to the original content.
And the other ones that try to charge $39 bucks for content are simply a rip off.

Jeff
AS, Ive been trying to figure out how to save this content. I thought maybe I could download it but it doesn't seem to work. How do I copy these files?

TIA

AS, Ive been trying to figure out how to save this content. I thought maybe I could download it but it doesn't seem to work. How do I copy these files?

TIA
You can use HTTrack to copy a whole website to a local directory. Takes a while, though, and it's not recommended for slow machines, slow internet connections, or small hard drives.

This page has download links for Windows, Linux, and others.

TIA
Its not just copying the files, its mirroring the structure so that when you click on links, they work. You can use a program called HTTrack (TM86 just beat me to it) using one of the current mirrors that are available online, but your mirror will only be as good as the site you are mirroring - broken links and all.

HTTrack is fairly easy to use with some basic setup, like telling it what file extensions to include and exclude (pdf, for instance, as it is not in the defaults) and things lke mirroring depth, both internal and external to the URL. One of the reasons none of the mirrors from CBTricks includes the forum content is because for that to work, you need to have HTTrack use your forum credentials and set it to exclude links that log you out. One day I hope the person that did that will show up here.

Your other option is to grab a copy that someone else is willing to share. In that case, you would access it by clicking on the index file which opens the mirrored/local site in your default browser so you can navigate it like it was the real site. I have it on my hard drive and keep a bookmark tab to it in my browser toolbar.

Reactions: TM86

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.