• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Handles and CB Etiquette?

K Mart Automotive Your CB Center
Found this under my dad's old Trc30 when he gave it to me. Must be from mid 70s.

IMG_20180222_101712236.jpg
IMG_20180222_101727778.jpg
IMG_20180222_101733679.jpg
IMG_20180222_101745185.jpg

It's best to listen in...a lot of time the "Dialect" is what sets the tone and level of communication...

Busting into a channel using every slang and CB jargon term that was ever printed in a book, is just that - old news - you've prolly' just insulted the whole bunch. You'd be lucky if' you'd get a 10-36 from them.

Time = 10-36

So while you've gone 10-10 and back quiet in the bushes wondering if you'll even ever be 10-8 and standin' straight again. The channel chatter pretty much went to zero. Are they 10-6? Gone 10-9?

So, you can possibly 10-5 a message or two - But to whom? Whom knows? Do you go 10-7 or try and ask for a 10-13? Maybe someone can tell me the traffic conditions...but then as you reach for the Volume On/Off knob to silence the channel forever, you hear "You're not from around here are you?"

Now, before you panic - realize that you have been given a second chance.

Talk and speak to them, not AT them - they're humans after all...

Don't forget to acknowledge their elite status as "Good Buddy" or else...

I don't know how much 10 codes were ever used, but since the early 90s, when I started playing around on the CB, there are only a couple ever used. 10-4, 10-20 is kind of used in terms of "What's your 20", and 10-7, although that last one is used very little. As for trucker slang, there is tons of it. "Seat covers", "Bear", "Bear in the air", "City kitty", "County mounty", "Picture taker", "There's a bear takin' pictures", etc. You don't need to know it, and nobody will give you too hard of a time if you don't understand them and ask for clarification. The good thing is, google knows all the slang.

Reactions: Rwb and 357magnum
After over 50 years of being on Am ( I now prefer SSB ) I can hang with the rest of The " Super Bowlers " , Bang , Bang , Boom, Boom , Back quiet ! :LOL: As far as language I started years back on a channel controlled by two Ladies , I always speak on the radio like I had a Minister on the other end , just the way I was raised . Believe me I can drop the F Bomb frequently from all my years working @ General Dynamic's . I find just no need for it a lot of Kid's listen in and just no need for it . JMO:whistle:

Most ovet the road truckers dont use cb's anymore. Either they dont speak english or its pointless conversations and turn them off..alot of local guys still run cb for gravel hauling and other dirt work. Im getting my base going again.

Reactions: Rwb and 357magnum
Most ovet the road truckers dont use cb's anymore. Either they dont speak english or its pointless conversations and turn them off..alot of local guys still run cb for gravel hauling and other dirt work. Im getting my base going again.
My daily commute is about 10-12 miles. A major truck stop is mid-way right off the interstate. I'm hoping to have fun yacking with the truckers.

Reactions: Flyincoyote and Rwb
With the discussion of CB slang, I had to dig out my 1976 copy of "The Big Dummy's Guide to CB Radio".

The cartoon on the first couple of pages is a hoot.

N23cpP.jpg

DgrwfQ.jpg

1AIvls.jpg

I used to have that book! Built a 2 element quad using dimensions found there. Never did tune right on vertical but was awesome on the flat side. Never did find out why???

73’s
David

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?