• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

meanwhile out in the garage ...

HPM.jpg

Is it "73" or "73's"?

So this bedwetter has a hissy fit over the whole thing.

dork.jpg

HPM had a dry Yankee sense of humor, and that use of the plural was meant to be satire. How do we know (or suspect ) this?

Hiram Percy Maxim came by his dry Yankee sense of humor honestly enough ...

"In addition to his engineering endeavours, Maxim, a lifelong atheist[25][26] "compiled and edited" a book he called Li Hung Chang's Scrapbook.[27] https://archive.org/details/cu31924022954436/page/n8 This book was addressed to Li Hung Chang (also spelled Li Hongzhang and Li Hung-chang) and endeavoured to address a belief that "The Chinese were generally puzzled as to how it was possible for people who are able to build locomotives and steamships to have a religion based on a belief in devils, ghosts, impossible miracles, and all the other absurdities and impossibilities peculiar to the religion taught by the missionaries."[28]

Maxim held European missionaries in China in low esteem, for reasons described in the scrapbook. He stated "...it was my aim, in compiling for His Excellency a scrap-book with explanatory notes, to put the Chinaman right in this respect. I wished to show that we were not all fools."[28] His scrapbook comprised some 400 pages with 42 illustrations, presenting his views on The Nature of Christianity; Christianity in China; and his conclusions on subjects including Miracles, Spirituality, Faith; and the influence of the Bible on the civilisation of Europe and America. He concluded his scrapbook with an appeal to the Missionaries and his thoughts on the reason for the failure of what he described as "Missionary Propaganda" in China."

The above attributed to his father, Hiram Stevens Maxim. There is much more anecdotal and corroborated evidence to support the belief that when HSM's tongue was not engaged other tactile pursuits or extemporary eloquence, it was planted firmly in cheek .

...Hiram Percy Maxim came by his dry Yankee sense of humor by way of his father.

Reactions: 357magnum
There's a bit of a back story to this .
It starts with a search of China bay , Evil bay, the Amazombies and various other purveyors of cupric clad fiberglass. The issue is/was I needed 93 mil board . That is .093" . Why ? Because that is the offset of the leads coming out of the MRF101AN.
Now getting some, any seller, to admit that their board even has thickness let alone posting it in a searchable format without having to examine each individual page for the fine print was like finding an honest politician.

Two hours later I found a Amazon seller. Good news was it was a painless purchase and quick shipping.

Now the search for the 3/8" OD thin wall copper tubing. Now it's either copper tubing or copper pipe and most of , if not all of the China bay , Evil bay, the Amazombies and various other purveyors of cupric tubular nonsense treat the two terms as interchangeable. First most pipe has too thick a wall and you have to search by 1/4" ID (.250) to get 3/8" OD. What you find eventually is a mix of 1/4" OD and 3/8" OD with varying wall thickness in coiled form. Then what is usually the go to for small projects , K & S metals doesn't have anything over 1/4" OD. Finally https://www.grainger.com/product/MUELLER-INDUSTRIES-2-ft-Hard-Straight-Copper-4WTG9 .375-.06 does not = .250 , .250 + .06 does not equal .375. So what kind of math comes up with a .030" wall thickness ?
All I want is 2' of 3/8" .030" wall thickness copper tube. At less than $2.50 will call why not try? It worked because the wall thickness was .030" and all was right in the world.

I have three sets of cores on the way from Amidon . All are 1.12" long, .375" ID and .687 OD. This "should be" enough mass to deal with 1:4 SSB duty cycle and reduced carrier AM or FM. I ordered the cores in 31, 43, and 61. For the input I'm going to try a binocular core of 43 or one of several cores I have from an old 300 ohm twin lead to 75 ohm coax balun.

Then there is the temperature/drive sensing bias circuit . I don't have the real estate to reproduce the circuit from the MFFX1K80H board but with some judicious shrinkage I should be able to get it down to large postage stamp size.

If I get one board work it's then cleaning up the sins and building a mask for the first few. Then it's off to the international purveyors of printed circuit confusion for any further. I just don't like keeping ferric chloride around.

Next will be more PC board tetris followed by solder and smoke.

meanwhile ....

Okay you already know the drill ...
LAMBDA FE100048-RA.jpg
LAMBDA FE100048-RA_.jpg

And if one isn't enough you can parallel them. PDF attached.
I got three of them. 25 amps @ 50V plus surge headroom.

That takes care of the bench supply . Not just for the MRF101AN but the initial MRF300AN experiments.

For those of you that are too lazy or senile to do the math
50% efficiency 1875 watts.
60% efficiency 2250 watts.
70% efficiency 2625 watts estimated RF output .

Attachments

• FEAppNote.pdf
    905.3 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:
IMG_0003.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG

During a cleaning spree I found some cores. 1.12 x .375 x .6875".
Exact dimensions I ordered.
I have no clue what material these are .
Pics are YUUUUUUGE. getting used to a real (powershot A590 IS) camera. there will be a learning curve but you won't have to suffer through the cell phone cam.

Kop , believe me I know on the camera ! Takes great pic's but the learning curve sucks ! For me anyway ! Mine even connects to the internet ! I'll NEVER figure that out ! Too many small Icons on that screen to figure out ! :ROFLMAO:

p143-page-001.jpg
Meanwhile back at the Icom IC-735 ...
IMG_0005.JPG

Found my poltergeist. L11 on the main board.
I was able to reach it with a long pointy hot thing and some spider solder.
But wait , that's not all.
When I first turned it on I lost everything from 8 to 15MHz .
That would be VCO 2 .
I had to walk away for ten minutes.
It fixed itself .
Still looking for a Jesuit Priest that does radios.

Last edited:
So time for another shipping post mortem.
I ordered two each 31, 43, 61 , 1.12" x .375" ID x .687" OD cores .
I received three packages of two cores each, with no labels.
no_label.jpeg

After a mildly humorous phone call I received these today .

lable.jpeg

But wait , that's not all .
I had ordered two 240- K cores for a balun and two small 43 binocular cores that did come with the first order.
They shipped two more 240- K cores and two small binocular 43 cores.
It appears that they just repeated the order and remembered to label everything.

and so it goes

Reactions: 357magnum and 999

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated