• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CB Tricks web site

Well flip, who is hosting it?

I imagine there’s a line formed for people who’d gladly take it over, I’ll join the line. It is a bit expensive to pay server cost and pay for the domain registration. Or it is with GoDaddy, based on the domains I own. But for this, it would be worth it, it’s a worthy cause.

Not to be an ass but what Mickey Mouse outfit is doing the hosting that they haven’t gotten it back up yet? We got two sites that are down, I imagine there’s a whole lot more. I bet there’s some unhappy campers across the country...

Yes he is. I emailed him a dozen times years ago and he never responded. Every email before that was answered in a very timely manner. So I just finally gave up, figured he had went on to do something better.

Clearly, as stated by Nomad, it’s the server it’s histed on and not Bennie taking it down. The question is why hasn’t the host fixed the issue? Will the host fix the issue? Has the host just said screw the server business and shut their doors?

If they have, then Bennie and whoever else is involved in the actual website, they’ll have to be the ones to put it up on another server. If they don’t, it’s gone.

The only option I know if at that point is someone else gathering all that information and starting a new CBT website. And then that brings the copyright and blah blah blah stuff into question. Might not be an issue or question but still, it’s just be respectful to have the mans permission to repost all his works and efforts.

If you have the supporter disk then all is not lost but it’s not as easy to use as the website. And there was a lot of useful information on that forum too, just like there is here on this one. I consider the radio hobby to be dying, I don’t think as many young people are into it like there used to be. So with that said, it’s even more sad to see anything die off and disappear that could potentially bring new people into this.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
I was able to also download the 8.8 gb so there are plenty of backups between all of us I have never been involved in a site except for my own little site which I have not done anything with it in a while.

FWIW the hosting company's name is Softlayer, as in softlayer.com. He preferred to have dedicated server hardware, rather than a "cloud" solution.

My best guess is that Bennie stopped paying the co-lo bill. When that happens, the lights go out.

He hosted my stuff for free all those years, so I can't complain I didn't get my money's worth. Well, not exactly free. I did moderating on the forum in exchange for hosting. Pretty dern near free, just the same.

Time to find a new host for nomadradio.com. I would have had to add a SSL certificate soon anyway. Browsers will be blocking unsecured sites soon enough.

Well I use GoDaddy and I’m pretty pleased with it. I don’t do retail on it so I can’t speak for that if you do any of that on yours.

At this point we need to talk to Bennie. That seems almost impossible but that’s the first step in my opinion to correctly solve the issue. Then we could see if he wants to continue or if he’ll let someone pick it up and carry on.

The domain reg expires at the end of December and appears to be reg by godaddy.

I just inquired to softlayer / IBM to see if it is possible to make remuneration to get the thing turned on for another month. At that point, I could run a suck job on the site and get a crackin' fresh copy.

'fuzz.

I was also able to download the zip file. It took 12 hours to download, probably due to my wife sharing my bandwidth with her connection. Everything looks good with no corruption within the zip. I only had an issue with the "mic" directory. Those 11k files are not pdf. Those are htm files. That's probably because that directory is missing the index.htm, I'm not sure. I simply renamed the file extension on those so called pdf's and let the browser bring up the actual pdf. Then I was able to save the real pdf back into the same directory.

You can register a domain with one service and host in another. You could host it yourself on your own server at home if you could support the traffic, had the bandwidth, which is probably not possible.

Spectrum offers a 1gb line now for residential but they suck most of the time and I don’t imagine the up speed being great enough to support a lot of traffic.

I have a copy of the zip.
I am trying to see if I can get it dropped someplace to mirror it.

My only concern with this developing power vacuum is that ten people make sites and information gets fragmented.

It will also take a bit of work to create a site with the ability for users to submit information, have it moderated, etc.

A wiki would probably be best for this sort of information.

I’ll drink to that. But I’ll gulp it down if someone just pick it back up like it was with the option for people to submit additional information. The forum isn’t that huge a deal but it’d be nice to see that available as well.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.